Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Quick & Easy Homemade Hummus

My family really enjoys snacking on hummus.  Sometimes my girls have even eaten hummus and tortilla chips for lunch! Since garbanzo beans (or chickpeas) are like tiny little SUPER beans, I can say that I don't mind them munching on hummus all day long if they wanted to.  :)  Here's a great link if you are interested in learning more about garbanzo beans: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=58  (I am in NO way affiliated with this website, make no claim to it at all, I just have enjoyed using it as a research point and thought I'd share it with you.)

So here is our super easy, super yummy hummus recipe:

about 1 1/2 cups dry garbanzo beans (soak and prepare as recommended)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper (we just toss a red bell pepper onto the grill for a bit, rotating, and then chop it up)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I like natural peanut butters, but you can use whatever you like best)
1/4 - 1/3 cup real lemon juice
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 drops doTerra cilantro essential oil (or if you prefer you can use about 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro)

I toss everything except the olive oil into a food processor (you could use a heavy duty blender if you have that instead) and mix on high until it looks fairly creamy.  Then I drizzly the olive oil in as it mixes and then keep mixing until it looks like hummus to you!  :)  We like our hummus super creamy, so I usually mix until everything is smooth and creamy.  If you like more of a chunky hummus, don't mix as long.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment